Reports & Previews

Polokwane City 1-0 AmaZulu

Polokwane City continued their winning start to the campaign as Mohammed Anas scored in injury time to secure a 1-0 victory over AmaZulu at the Old Peter Mokaba Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The first half produced little in the way of clear-cut chances, with both sides struggling to create more than a couple of shots on goal.

Polokwane came flying out of the starting blocks, though, and lodged a shot on target inside the opening two minutes. Mohammed Anas unleashed a powerful effort from the right side of the box but AmaZulu keeper Siyabonga Mbatha was alert to the danger, leaping to his right to punch the shot wide of goal.

Amazulu very nearly got through on goal in the 18th minute as Lehlohonolo Majoro sprung clear on the right flank before sending in a tantalising cross, only for goalkeeper George Chigova to snuff out the danger.

Majoro continued to pose a threat and he had a great chance to fire Usuthu in front in the 36th minute after being teed up by Ovidy Karuru's cushioned header, but his volleyed shot flew high and wide to the right of goal.

There was one last chance as the first half drew to a close as Polokwane's Sibusiso Hlubi took aim at goal, but he was unable to find the mark as the two teams went into the break with the scores locked at 0-0.

Usuthu started the second half on the front foot and tested Polokwane keeper Chigova in the 52nd minute, with midfielder Andre De Jong seeing his volley saved by the Zimbabwean.

Polokwane's Wiseman Maluleke fired over from a free-kick a few minutes later, while AmaZulu's Siyethemba Sithebe smashed a volley over the bar at the opposite end of the pitch.

And, with the match winding down it appeared likely that the match woudl end in stalemate, with neither side ablwe to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

However, Rise and Shine had other ideas, snatching all three points two minutes into injury time as Mohammed Anas headed home to hand the hosts a last-gasp win.