Reports & Previews

Students see off Citizens to go top

Cape Town City suffered a MTN8 hangover as Bidvest Wits recorded a comfortable 2-0 win at the Cape Town Stadium on Tuesday to move to the Premiership summit.

  • Cape Town City 0 Bidvest Wits 2
  • Murray (8') opens scoring from the spot
  • Hotto (19') goal from free-kick ruled out
  • Murray (45') produces composed finish
  • City cannot unlock Students in second half

Match summary

A first-half brace from Simon Murray did the damage, with the Scottish striker opening the scoring from the penalty spot after just eight minutes, before doubling the Clever Boys' lead on the stroke of half-time.

Gavin Hunt's side continued to keep the Citizens quiet in the second half to claim all three points and displace Orlando Pirates at the top of the table.

Full report

Bidvest Wits made all the early running in the Mother City to put the hosts under pressure, with Gift Motupa forcing Peter Leeuwenburgh into a save in the third minute with a header from Sifiso Hlanti's cross on the left.

Hlanti then threatened moments later as he fizzed a first-time shot high and wide of the right post from 22 yards out, but the Students hit the front in controversial fashion on eight minutes.

Murray conned the referee when he went down inside the area after appearing to be caught by Leeuwenburgh, who tried to clear Keanu Cupido's poor backpass. Replays showed there had been no contact, but the Scottish striker sent the Dutch keeper the wrong way from the resulting penalty.

The visitors went in search of more goals and Haashim Domingo cleared the target with an angled shot from inside the box on the right in the 14th minute, before further drama followed five minutes later.

Deon Hotto scored from a free-kick via a deflection off Ebrahim Seedat, only to see the ref rule the goal out and book him for taking it before the whistle had sounded.

Leeuwenburgh was alert to the danger on 24 minutes as he parried away Motupa's swerving strike from 25 yards out, while Matthew Rusike squandered Cape Town City's one and only chance of the first half 10 minutes later.

Allan Kateregga delivered a pin-point cross to the back post, where an unmarked Rusike steered a free header wide of the goal.

The newly-crowned MTN8 champions were made to pay on the stroke of half-time when Murray showed good composure to slot home from 10 yards out after being played in by Hotto and leaving two defenders on the floor.

The second half got off to a scrappy start as both teams gave away cheap possession. City had a sniff at goal on 58 minutes as Siphelele Mthembu steered a header well over the crossbar at the back post from Riyaad Norodien's cross on the left.

But that was as good as it got at either end with chances at a premium, despite Benni McCarthy's troops pushing forward in a search to get back into the contest.