Reports & Previews

Free State Stars claim derby bragging rights

Free State Stars returned to winning ways with a 2-0 win over Bloemfontein Celtic to claim bragging rights in the Free State derby played at Goble Park on Saturday.

  • Free State Stars 2 Bloemfontein Celtic 0
  • Mabaso (19') waste good opportunity
  • Tchilimbou (38') scores
  • Tignyemb (40') denies Mobbie
  • Masuku (52') denied
  • Jantjie (57') doubles the lead

Match Summary

Ea Lla Koto played with more confidence and were able to score two goals through Harris Tchilimboue and Sinethemba Jantjie to register their third win in ten games.

Celtic on the other hand failed to show the same hunger they displayed in the goalless draw against Mamelodi Sundowns on Wednesday and suffered their second defeat in eight matches.

Match report

Celtic looked comfortable and moved the ball around in the opening ten minutes of the game, but it was Ea Lla Koto with the first attempt at goal through Tchilimbou in the 16th minute.

Tshegofatso Mabaso found himself with a good chance two minutes later after he was played in with a long ball from the midfield, but lacked composure to put his side ahead

Ndumiso Mabena came close to breaking the deadlock from a free-kick in the 32nd minute, but his effort failed to find the target. 

Ea Lla Koto looked very dangerous as the match approached the half-time break and nearly opened their account through Jantjie, but Ronald Pfumbidzai was able to come to the rescue to clear the ball from the goal line with his goalkeeper already beaten.

The goal finally came in the 38th minute as Tchilimbou, who had been a threat for the whole of the first-half, rose high to head home from a beautiful cross played by Nyiko Mobbie.

The home side were now playing with confidence and with Mobbie forcing a good save out of Patrick Tignyemb from long range as Stars looked to double the lead.

The match went to the half-time break with Stars enjoying the 1-0 lead.

Menzi Masuku had a good chance to get his side back into the game just a few minutes into the second-half, but was denied by Ali Sangare, who made himself big to keep his side in the lead.

Ea Lla Koto would go on to double their lead in the 57th minute as Jantjie caught Tignyemb off his line to make it 2-0 for the home side.

Stars continued to attack their opponents and forced another good save from Tignyemb in the 63rd minute before Mpho Maruping hit the post from long range in the 75th minute.

Ea Lla Koto held on to register a comfortable victory and return to winning ways after Wednesday's 1-0 loss to Chippa United.