Reports & Previews

Chiefs defeated by Cape Town City

Kaizer Chiefs suffered a 1-0 defeat to Cape Town City in Wednesday's defeat in the Premiership.

The match started in a cagey fashion as both sides felt each other out at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg.

The away outfit were dealt a blow in the opening exchanges as City's top goalscorer Siphelele Mthembu went off with an ankle injury.

Chiefs nearly hit the front inside 10 minutes as Daniel Cardoso's header went just wide of the post as goalkeeper Peter Leeuwenburgh breathed a sigh of relief.

The Glamour Boys pressing game was producing results as it almost saw a chance buried just before the 20th minute mark.

Bernard Parker's back-heel found Khama Billiat who saw his strike well stopped by Leeuwenburgh.

Against the run of play City nearly hit the front as Gift Links' cross was met by Thabo Nodada, yet goalkeeper Virgil Vries produced a superb stop with his legs.

Around the half-an-hour mark Hendrick Ekstein sent Billiat through on goal but once again Leeuwenburgh came up with a smart save.

It went into the break 0-0 though either side may have been disappointed not to open their account.

After the interval, the visitors were much better in the second stanza and began to control proceedings in midfield. The best chance of the second half, yet, fell to Chiefs.

After sloppy play by City in giving the ball away in midfield, Billiat put Castro in to some space down the left-hand side, with the South American firing on target from just inside the box only for Leeuwenburgh to pull off another top-notch save.

With that said, Siphelele Ntshangase hit the crossbar after his shot took a deflection of Kwanda Mngonyama with Leeuwenburgh completely exposed.

Virgil Vries made another mistake bringing back memories of his shocker in the Mamelodi Sundowns game when he spilled an average free-kick delivery from Gift Links. Edmilson Dove was quickest to react to poke the ball in to an empty net.

The away side were then reduced to ten when Zukile Kewuti was given a straight redfor his challenge on Ntshangase, giving the home side an opportunity to get back in to the game. Though it ended 1-0 to City.