Cape Town City 2-1 Mamelodi Sundowns

A beautifully taken free-kick from substitute Chris David in the dying moments of the match saw Cape Town City come back from a goal down to beat Mamelodi Sundowns 2-1 at the Athlone Stadium on Tuesday night.

The result saw the Brazilians lose top spot in the Absa Premiership table to Orlando Pirates, who drew 1-1 with Bloemfontein Celtic on the night to nudge ahead on goal difference.

The last time these two teams met it was a high-scoring affair, with Sundowns emerging 3-2 winners after a thrilling see-saw battle, and it was another thoroughly absorbing contest this time around.

It didn't take the table-topping visitors long to assert their dominance in the midfield, and some excellent interplay between Themba Zwane and Tebogo Langerman nearly resulted in the opening goal just 10 minutes in. Luckily for City, goalkeeper Peter Leeuwenburgh and defender Taariq Fielies just about managed to block the danger.

Sundowns continued to apply loads of early pressure, however, and they were rewarded with the lead just four minutes later courtesy of Lebohang Maboe, who provided the finish from right in front after fellow frontman Emiliano Tade had played a lovely ball into his path.

City slowly managed to force their way into a one-sided contest and were perhaps unlucky not to equalise in the 26th minute when, after some impressive play in the build-up, Kermit Erasmus teed up Siphelele Mthembu, who could only fire his shot straight at keeper Kennedy Mweene despite having no one else to beat.

The remainder of the half played out evenly and without much further incident, although City definitely managed to improve after their poor start and would have been feeling a lot more confident of their chances after the break.

The home side continued to impress at the start of the second half and found themselves level just seven minutes in thanks to their main playmaker Erasmus, who was on hand to finish from point blank range after Zukile Kewuti headed the ball down into his path, as the Sundowns defenders failed to clear the danger.

City had now managed to reverse the pressure on their opponents, and the Brazilians had to be wary of the danger as a free kick from just outside the box went flying in, followed by another testing cross from a corner.

Sundowns did not give up the fight, however, and nearly retook the lead in the 62nd minute when Tade picked out Zwane, only for the Bafana Bafana star to smash his shot into the left post.

Eight minutes later Langerman looked to be in again for Masandawana, and only a lightning quick reaction save from Leeuwenberg was able to deny him.

As both teams went in search of a winner in the closing stages, it was the home side who found it, much to the delight of the local fans in attendance.

With just two minutes left on the clock, Sundowns substitute Andile Jali gave away a foul on the edge of the area, and former Fulham man Chris David stepped up to take it, delivering a perfect curling shot over the wall and into the back of the net to secure a stunning comeback win for Benni McCarthy's side.