Chippa see off Tshakhuma to ease into Nedbank Cup quarters

Chippa United are through to the quarter-finals of the Nedbank Cup after a confident 2-0 win over Tshakhuma Tsha Madzhivhandila at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.

It was a dominant performance by the men from the Eastern Cape, who were full value for their victory despite a late red card reducing them to 10 men for the last few minutes.

Tshakhuma fired the first shot in anger, as former Chippa striker Edward Manqele forced a smart save from Mbongeni Mzimela after doing well to keep the ball alive inside the box.

As the first half progressed, Tshakhuma continued to acquit themselves well, proving more than equal to whatever the Chilli Boys were throwing at them.

The home side's first real chance in front of goal came in the 28th minute, and it was only a clearing header from Tshepo Makgoga that kept them from opening the scoreline.

Lerato Manzini had another chance shortly after, but his shot was also intercepted by a defender, and the follow-up effort from Kurt Lentjies was saved by the keeper.

Chippa were starting to look more dangerous, with Manzini and Thabo Rakhale combining well in the middle to keep their side on the front foot, but there was nothing to seriously trouble Tshepo Matthews Ramaele in the Tshakhuma goal, and the visitors were no doubt delighted to go into half-time all square.

The Chilli Boys didn't let up after the break, however, and continued to apply plenty of pressure on the opposition goal before being duly rewarded with the lead in the 52nd minute.

A well-placed cross was played into the Tshakhuma box by Rakhale, and Lentjies was on hand to fire it home and put the hosts 1-0 up.

It was up to the visitors to find a response, but they were struggling to find a way to break down the Chippa defence, while at the other end Ramaele continued to have his hands full in goal.

Chippa were dominating possession, and came very close to doubling their advantage in the 84th minute when Gladwin Shitolo directed a smart header towards goal only to be denied by the crossbar.

There was some late drama in the 89th minute when a scuffle between the players and the referee led to a sending off for Andile Mbenyane, but the red card only seemed to spur on the Chilli Boys, who would make absolutely sure of the result deep into stoppage time when Mark Mayambela calmly slotted home their second goal to keep their Nedbank Cup dreams alive.