Latest News

Polokwane 3-1 SuperSport

Polokwane City moved to the summit of the Premiership standings on Saturday after clinching a 3-1 victory over ten-man SuperSport United at Pietersburg Stadium.

Rise and Shine claimed the lead on the half-hour mark through Nicholas Motloung's towering header, before Onismor Bhasera saw red for a studs-up challenge on the stroke of half-time. Puleng Tlolane made it 2-0 to the hosts on 77 minutes, before Maphosa Modiba's 88th-minute spot-kick reduced the deficit. However, any thoughts of a late comeback were quickly extinguished as Salulani Phiri scored deep in injury time to put the result beyond doubt.

The hosts started the match on the front foot and created a great chance to score after just five minutes, but Puleng Tlolane was unable to make it count as he snatched his shot wide of the mark.

SuperSport responded by sending in a series of crosses from wide areas, but the Polokwane defence did well to snuff out the danger, with Evans Rusike and Aubrey Modiba unable to get on the end of the balls into the box.

And, after a brief lull in play, Polokwane finally got the breakthrough they looking for in the 29th minute, Motloung rising highest in the box to head home from Jabu Maluleke's inviting cross.

However, the first half ended on a sour note as SuperSport were reduced to ten men following a dangerous tackle by Bhasera, which earned him a red card and an injury in the process.

Polokwane enjoyed plenty of the ball in the second half thanks to their numerical advantage and create a handful of good chances, although they were unable to add to their lead early in the half.

They had to wait until the 77th minute for the second of the game, but it was well worth the wait. With the SuperSport backing off Tlolane, he kept surging forward before firing a curling effort past a flat-footed Ronwen Williams and into the back of the net.

Credit must go to SuperSport, however, as they didn't allow their heads to drop and eventually pulled one back with two minutes left on the clock, Modiba holding his nerve to convert from the penalty spot.

Polokwane were having none of it, though, as Phiri popped up in the fifth minute of injury time to score their third of the game and snuff out SuperSport's hopes of snatching a late draw.