PSL clubs still awaiting green light
Cape Town City say they are still waiting for the official go-ahead to be able to resume training.
The Premier Soccer League side were gearing up for full training sessions after assuming that they had the all-clear.
Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture Nathi Mthethwa recently announced the resumption of both non-contact and contact sport training, under level 3 of the nationwide lockdown that came into effect from June 1.
City had been hard at work sanitising their training facilities as they prepared to welcome back their players.
But speaking to KickOff, media manager Julian Bailey explained they have put a stop to team preparations.
He said: "So, basically we wanted to go for it [return to training] but we were told that, just because the announcement was made, it doesn't mean we can go back.
"We were also just as confused and thought, when the announcement was made that contact and non-contact sport can go back [to training], that it was basically the green light for us.
"But then we were informed that we can't go back, so we had to put the breaks on a little bit. What we have done though, is we still got the guys in and just did a whole bunch of tests, which is part of the protocol before they can start training.
"So, we've done all that and now we have to sit back and wait again until we get the [official] green light. For now, we've given some of the guys access to the facilities who don't have capabilities for proper training at home."