Reports & Previews

AmaZulu 2-0 Bidvest Wits

Title hopefuls Bidvest Wits saw their winless streak extended to three matches as AmaZulu produced an assured performance in a 2-0 victory at King Goodwill Zwelithini Stadium on Saturday night.

AmaZulu claimed the lead three minutes into the second half thanks to Bongi Ntuli, before Ovidy Karuru put the result to bed with the hosts' second goal nine minutes from full-time.

Despite being the clear underdogs in this Premiership encounter, AmaZulu showed no signs of being overawed by their title-chasing opponents.

There was an early scare for the hosts, however, as Sadat Ouro-Akoriko was lucky to see his sliced clearance fly straight into the grateful arms of his own keeper.

AmaZulu proceeded to assert themselves after that early scare, with Ouro-Akoriko failing to head the ball cleanly on five minutes, before Karuru headed directly at Wits keeper Darren Keet after shrugging clear of his marker at the back post.

And, Wits were again let off the hook in the 18th minute as Bongi Ntuli raced onto a long pass before bearing down on goal and dragging his angled shot wide of the mark.

Ntuli had a glorious opportunity to make amends for his earlier miss when he burst through on goal on 23 minutes, but he was again unable to find a way past Keet in the Clever Boys' goal.

Wits eventually woke from their slumber on the stroke of half-time and very nearly grabbed the lead as the ball pinged around the danger area. However, Tapelo Nyongo was alert to the danger and reacted quickly to make a vital clearance.

In confident mood following a strong first-half showing, Amazulu came flying out of the traps after the half-time break and broke the deadlock after just three minutes of play, Ntuli bagging the all-important goal after being teed up by Somila Ntsundwana.

Usuthu continued to threaten but efforts by Ntuli and Sithebe failed to test Wits keeper Keet, while at the opposite end of the pitch, a rare Wits chance came to nothing as Ouro-Akoriko headed clear from Gift Motupa's attempted cross.

They weren't to be denied in the 81st minute, however, as Ntsundwana squared the ball across the face of goal, teeing up Ovidy Karuru for a straightforward finish from close range.

And, Wits evening went from bad to worse after skipper Thulani Hlatshwayo picked up a second yellow card in the 89th minute, following a cynical foul on Ntsundwana.