Reports & Previews

Citizens lift MTN8 trophy

Peter Leeuwenburgh was the hero after saving two penalties to help Cape Town City win the MTN8 final against SuperSport United at the Moses Mabhida Stadium on Saturday.

  • SuperSport United 0 Cape Town City 0
  • Nodada and Links strike woodwork in normal time
  • Leeuwenburgh saves two penalties
  • MaCarthy's side win 4-1 in shootout
  • Citizens win maiden trophy

Match summary

The match was dominated by the Citizens but they failed to score in 120 minutes despite creating plenty of openings.

In the end penalties was required, with Leeuwenburgh saving from substitute Bradley Grobler and Reneilwe Letsholonyane to help Benni McCarthy's side to their maiden title.

Full report

As for the clash itself, it was mainly one-way traffic as SuperSport had done the early running. They had a big chance after 10 minutes when Fagrie Lakay stole the ball in midfield, played it wide to Teboho Mokoena on the right and then ran to the middle to collect, only to wastefully blaze over.

After half-chances at both ends, Evans Rusike was next to come close when he too capitalised on some loose bit of play by Cape Town City, this time through Roland Putsche, and to force Leeuwenburgh to dive full length and turn the ball wide.

Moments later Thabo Nodada came closest to scoring with City's best chance when he picked up the ball on the edge of the box and beat Ronwen Williams with his strike, but the left upright came to Matsatsantsa's rescue. Siphelele Mthembu should have slotted in the rebound, but his first touch was heavy as the chance went begging.

From the resulting break forward, SuperSport again went close when Lakay fired across the face of Leeuwenburgh's goal.

Putsche had another golden chance to score when he arrived late to the back post in the 33rd minute, but inexplicably headed over. Ayanda Patosi's strike from Gift Links' squared ball followed the same path three minutes later, much to the frustration of McCarthy.

The Citizens picked up where they left after the break when Links floated in a delightful ball from the left that Craig Martin headed inches over.

And just before the hour they had another golden chance to hit the lead when Dove Edmilson found himself in space on the left before unleashing a low shot that was saved by the outstretched foot of Williams.

With five minutes to go, Links hooked an acrobatic shot onto the crossbar following more good work by Edmilson on the left.

The game ended scoreless after 90 minutes, and after an incident-free extra time, it came down to penalties where City's players held their nerves to secure the first trophy of the season.