Reports & Previews

Arrows pick up second win of the season

Golden Arrows won for the first time since the opening day of the season as they secured a 1-0 victory over a flat Black Leopards at the Princess Magogo Stadium on Sunday.

  • Golden Arrows 1 Black Leopards 0
  • Mutizwa scores second-half winner
  • Arrows up to 10th in the table
  • Leopards drop to 12th spot

Match summary

Knox Mutizwa scored the only goal of the game after 63 minutes when he slotted in a cross from Siboniso Conco.

The match was mainly uninspiring with the home defence rarely tested until the death, although Leopards failed to really trouble Nkosingiphile Gumede.

The result ended a sequence of seven matches without a win for Arrows as they climbed to 10th place in the Premiership table.

Full report

The first big chance of the match came the way of Arrows with Mutizwa using his pace down the right and squaring for Conco, who fired agonisingly wide.

The same Abafana Bes'thende attacker then had two further chances that were fired wide as the hosts continued to boss the game through the opening half hour.

There were also two enforced injury substitutions in the opening period as Khomotso Masia replaced Jean Munganga for Leopards, while Nduduzo Sibiya was brought on for the wounded Danny Venter.

Still the encounter lacked inspiration as the two teams went into the break goalless.

Divine Lunga had a great chance to finally break the deadlock before the hour when Sibiya tricked his way into some space on the left and delivered an inviting cross to the middle, which was headed over.

That attack seemed to give Clinton Larsen's side some momentum and they then went ahead on the other side of the hour when another sub, Phuti Motebejane, won the ball and cleverly switched play.

The recipient of the ball on the right was Conco, who moved in from the flank and cut the ball back to the middle, where Mutizwa was waiting to slot home.

Moments later Sibiya forced Kgosietsile Ndlovu to parry over his attempt from wide on the right as Arrows threatened a second.

With 10 minutes to play, Joseph Mhlongo forced the first real save from Gumede with a rifling 25-yard free-kick that was well caught by the goalkeeper.

There was an even better chance for Mwape Musonda in the closing stages when Marks Munyai swept down the right and teed up the Zambian, who failed to connect cleanly from four yards out.