Reports & Previews

Bidvest Wits 2-3 Cape Town City FC

Cape Town City pulled off a remarkable comeback as they rallied from two goals down to record a memorable 3-2 victory over Bidvest Wits at Bidvest Stadium on Saturday night.

Wits looked to be in control at the half-time break thanks to goals from Thulani Hlatshwayo and Gift Motupa but City regrouped in the second stanza, with Kermit Erasmus, Bradley Ralani and Riyaad Norodien getting their names on the scoresheet.

The first half was an action-packed affair, and it was the Citizens who looked dangerous early on, with Kermit Erasmus and Riyaad Norodien both going close to firing the visitors in front inside the opening 15 minutes of play.

However, it was the Clever Boys who claimed the lead in the 29th minute, inspirational skipper Thulani Hlatshwayo shrugging clear of his marker before finding the back of the net with a towering header.

Hlatshwayo very nearly added another from a set-piece situation in the 39th minute, but couldn't keep his headed effort down as it sailed over the bar.

And, with the momentum now on their side, Wits continued to prod and probe at the City defence and got the breakthrough they were looking for in the 43rd minute. Lehlohonolo Majoro was fouled just inside the area and Gift Motupa calmly converted the resulting spot kick to make it 2-0 to Wits.

The Citizens came flying out of the traps after the break, though, pulling one back after just two minutes of play. Chris David and Erasmus combined brilliantly with a neat one-two before the latter drilled the ball into the back of the net.

City struck again in the 54th minute, and had lady luck to thank for a massive slice of fortune as Bradley Ralani saw his shot go in off the inside off the upright.

Wits were struggling to get to grips with a rampant City side and that point was emphasised in the 68th minute as Norodien earned a free-kick on the edge of the box before curling it into the back of the net to hand the visitors the lead.

The hosts managed to create two more chances in the closing stages of the contest as they went in search of an equaliser, but Granwald Scott saw his goal-bound shot palmed away for a corner, while a late header from a free-kick went to waste.